ADSM-L

ADSM and Oracle DB Backup

1995-10-26 22:54:07
Subject: ADSM and Oracle DB Backup
From: Rosa Voncina <rosav AT SEQUENT DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 19:54:07 -0700
Hi,

I have been reading some of the notes about Oracle (and Database in general)
backup strategy with ADSM.

I am very interested in understanding how ADSM performs in this area.

My understaning thus far is that ADSM DOES HOT backup of Databases but that
the Database has to be in File Systems. Is this correct ?

Our main concern is to MEET certain REQUIREMENTS for the Backup/Restore
window and thruput.

I need to backup and restore (600GB Q4/95 and 6TB by Q496) of Database in
about 4-6hrs. This is HOT and COLD backups. We can use any peripherals that are
needed to accomplish this rate OR as many as a platform can attach, i.e.
several 4mm libraries, DLT libraries, IBM Libraries with 3590 drives.
The Database is currently stored in raw partitions but it could also be in
File Systems as well. Can ADSM do the job ?

The Key question is How SCALABLE is ADSM ? Does anyone have significant
experience in Backing UP LARGE Oracle Databases with ADSM that can share some
info (off-line if needed).

Knowing that File System Performance can vary from platform to platform and
from different File System Types, if we assume that a particular UNIX platform
has excellent File System Performance, what are (if any) the botlenecks of ADSM.
Can we count on ADSM streaming all tape/optical drives ?

Is there any performance pubs for ADSM on UNIX platforms for DATABASE BACKUPs ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Rosa O. Voncina (rosav AT sequent DOT com)
Rosa O. Voncina (rosav AT sequent DOT com)