ADSM-L

Restore improvements

1995-10-24 08:30:54
Subject: Restore improvements
From: Jeff Renicker <jrenicker AT GOODYEAR DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 08:30:54 EDT
On Oct 23, Frank Ramke wrote:

>We are looking at this and other restore problems that skipping/continuation
>of the restore would be appropriate. Currently, we are thinking of putting
>an entry in the error log and a failure noted in the restore statistics
>for each file that is not recovered. Is this enough?

This would be sufficient, but I like Paul Zarnowski's suggestion of adding
another option to let the user indicate whether or not a prompt is desired.

Since we're on the subject of improving the restore process I've had several
requests from users that go something like this:

Request #1: Can I rebuild a server by restoring everything except directory
trees /A, /B and /C?

Request #2: Can I do a restore by having ADSM read a list of filenames
from an ASCII file?  If not directly then can I redirect the list to ADSM?
(e.g. dsmc restore -rep=all < list.of.files)

Bill Colwell mentioned in his note on Oct 23 that an option such as
"-retryfile=<filespec>" could be used to restore those files that failed
on an initial restore.  A similar mechanism would satisfy both requests.

Perhaps an option like "-inclexcl=<filespec>", where "<filespec>" contains
a list of include/exclude statements of the files/directories to be restored,
could be used.

Jeff
Jeffrey E. Renicker               e-mail: jrenicker AT goodyear DOT com
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.        voice:  (216)796-3984
1144 E. Market St.                fax:    (216)796-9081
Akron, OH 44316-0001
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..." - ELP