ADSM-L

Recovery log exhaustion and messages

1995-10-19 15:01:00
Subject: Recovery log exhaustion and messages
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 15:01:00 EDT
Jon,
     APAR PN54540 addresses this problem by allowing you to customize what
messages get highlighted, suppressed, etc. as well as routecodes.  I'm not
positive but I think PN54540 was rolled into ADSM for MVS service level
0.12/1.12.  You mentioned you're at the last mod for MVS version 1... check
out SYS1.SAMPLIB(ANR1110) for documentation on this.

Regards....
Tim Pittson

Ran into an interesting experience last night...

We experienced an exhaustion of our Recovery log, which
    had the following effects:
            no activity log records for the period
            various misses and failures of schedule backups

Hey, we know that this wouldn't have happened if we had the
recovery logs larger, or had exteneded it. My beef is (and
this is on Version 1, last mod for MVS), couldn't there at
least have been some ANRxxxxE message issued or some other
warning that stayed on our system console? Our operations
staff is heavy into print on third shift, and would have
placed a call to my group if they'd had a persistent message
to deal with.

BTW, the trail of retry messages was useful in pinpointing
the time the log exhausted (which it turns out was reported
as 97.2% full).

IF I'm off-base, please advise...

|  Jon Austin                             TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU   |
|  Systems Programmer,                                               |
|  OIT Systems Administration Group                                  |
|  412 North Building, Box 90132                                     |
|  Duke University                           phone   (919)660-7024   |
|  Durham, NC  27708-0132                    fax     (919)660-7021   |
|               Duke University: Birthplace of 'USENET'              |

.
QUIT