ADSM-L

Database Mirroring on MVS -Reply

1995-10-18 12:33:23
Subject: Database Mirroring on MVS -Reply
From: Jane Dagostino-Snyder <j-dago AT CAFE.TC.UMN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:33:23 -0500
Michael,  This is an interesting thought.   We have ADSM on our MVS
mainframe as a  server.   Currently we are mirroring both the DB and
Jane Dagostino-SnyderLOG 1 deep also. Our logs are small, all are 171
cyl. in size.  We are, I suppose, in our infancy.  All DB and LOG's are on
a different HDA for the primary and mirrored.

We just have had a large conversion to EMC techinogy which does
provide the mirroring already to which you are referring to.  I see that this
could be over doing it, although I have no plans in changing the way I am
handling it currently.  If DASD space is at a premium,  you may want to
consider this.  I would perhaps check with FMC or the ADSM utilities on
how it recovers from an error before I would make this change.

Jane Dagostino-Snyder
University of Minnesota
Storage Administration
(612)  624-4883before I would make this change.

>>> Michael Bryant
<michael.bryant%CCMAIL.FINGERHUT.COM AT vm1.spcs.umn DOT edu>
10/18/95 11:01am >>>
I am assuming that most if not all of the previous comments on Mirroring
on the
ADSM server are for the NON-Mainframe environments.  What are the
MVS server folks doing.  Currently I have both the DB and Recovery log
mirrored 1 deep on
EMC 9000 volumes which are hardware mirrored.  I think I have to much
redundancy.  I am considering giving up the ADSM mirroring and letting
the EMC d evice handle this for me.  Does anyone have any experience
with mirroring on the
MVS environment??  How are you handling mirroring and what size is
your DB.
Thanks, Michael Bryant