ADSM-L

Re: DataBase Mirroring

1995-10-18 06:29:50
Subject: Re: DataBase Mirroring
From: Werner Baur <Werner.Baur AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:29:50 +0100
>We are looking into mirroring our ADSM database. Can anyone tell me
>what this will gain us? How does it help you recover from a database
>error? Does the database automatically get synchronized with the
>mirror after you correct the problems with the database volume?
>Does it notify you that there was a problem that needs to addressed?
>
>What does mirroring gain us for the cost of the DASD? Are there any
>additional down sides to mirroring besides requiring twice the disk
>space?

Keep in mind that by mirroring you only can gain protection against
hardware failures.
Software problems still can occur, e.g. inconsistencies in the database or
loss of the database by an software error. So you need a working
backup concept in any case.

Werner Baur
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum     X.400:  S=Baur;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21            RFC822:  Werner.Baur AT lrz-muenchen DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen           Tel.:  ++49-89-2105-8781
Germany                     Fax:  ++49-89-2809460