ADSM-L

Re: Moving Tape Pool To Scratch Pool

1995-10-12 12:31:13
Subject: Re: Moving Tape Pool To Scratch Pool
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:31:13 +0000
Ron Ritchey asks:

> We are looking at moving some tapes that we have definde in a ADSM
> tape storage pool to our scratch pool. Is there an easy way to do
> this without loosing the information on the tapes? It looks like
> I need to delete all the filespaces associated with that tape pool and
> then remove the tapes from the tape pool. Next move the tapes to our
> scratch pool, put them in the TMC and then back all the machines up
> that I deleted data for. Is that what needs to be done, or would there
> be a better way?

Anyone think the following would work? Other opinions?

First, set up the TMC such that all tape data sets created by ADSM will
be marked as "externally managed", i.e. "ADSM.BFS",
or whatever high-level qualifier you use.

Next, I assume you have a list of all the tape volsers, or can get them
by issuing a "Q V * STG=<tapestoragepoolname>" command to ADSM. Get this
list and add them (or the range, or whatever) to the TMC.

Third, update all the TMC records for the tapes already belonging to an
ADSM tape storage pool such
that they all have a DSN of "ADSM.BFS", or whatever high-level qualifier
you set up ADSM to use, that they are marked as "externally managed",
and have an expiration date of 99365. There may be some other flags you
need to set, but I'm not sure what they are.

Fourth, add the TAPEDELETIONEXIT statement to the ADSM server options
file and specify whatever exit you use. We use ARCTVEXT, the same one
that we use for HSM.

Fifth, set up ADSM to use scratch tapes rather than pre-defined tapes,
and to put an expiration date of 99365 on them. I think you'll find
these in the UPDATE STGPOOL command.

I think that should pretty much do it, and you don't have to delete any
filespaces!

I'm not sure whether ADSM will automatically run the existing tapes through
the tape deletion exit once they become empty. Try moving the data off of
one existing volume to another and verify that ADSM takes a scratch tape
from the TMC, marks it as externally managed with expiration date of 99365,
and then deletes the existing tape once the move is complete. You can
tell by the messages in the ADSM activity log. The deleted tape should have
a non-99365 expiration date in the TMC. If not, you'll probably have to
issue MOVE commands for all the pre-defined tapes.

Sorry I have a few "unsures" in here, but I'm at home and don't have the
books. But I think this may be sound. Other ADSM list server subscribers
may have better plans.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521