ADSM-L

Re: Help with restore!

1995-09-27 12:55:01
Subject: Re: Help with restore!
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 12:55:01 -0400
I don't know if this made it across the first time (I never received
an acknowledgement) so here it is again. Sorry if it's a repeat.

-----------
My best advice is to run, don't walk, to the ADSM ftp server
My best advice is to run, don't walk, to the ADSM ftp server
(index.storsys.ibm.com) and download the V2 R1 NetWare client.
You'll find it in the "/adsm/releases/v2r1/netware" directory.
There are two disk images: NETWARE.3D1 and NETWARE.3D2. The
3D2 disk is not ADSM code, but upgrades for NetWare code (i.e.
CLIB, MATHLIB, etc.). If you're currently at ADSM V1.2.8, you
probably already have all the NetWare maintenance you need so
it isn't necessary to apply.

The 3D1 disk contains the latest ADSM code. In V2, IBM has
included 3 new RESTORE and RETRIEVE options: -FROMDATE,
-TODATE, and -IFNEWER.
It sounds like you need the -TODATE option. This option will
It sounds like you need the -TODATE option. This option will
select the latest version for restore that does not exceed the
specified date. For instance, if you have three backup versions
created as follows:

08/24/1995 00:05
08/24/1995 23:15
08/26/1995 02:30

If you specify -TODATE=08/24/1995, ADSM will select the version that
was taken on 08/24/1995 at 23:15. If you specify -TODATE=08/25/1995,
ADSM will also select the 08/24/1995 23:15 version (because it is
the latest version that does not exceed the specified date).

*CAUTION* In the example I provided above, notice that there are two
08/24/1995 backup versions. Perhaps the 00:05 version was really from
the 08/23/1995 incremental backups which ran past midnight. If it's
the 08/23/1995 backups you want, then -TODATE is of less value
because you'll get the wrong version. If your backups do not cross
midnight, then this is not a concern.

If they do cross midnight, you can combine the date filtering with
the -PICK option. Although you'll still have to pick the versions
you want, the date filter will reduce the number of versions you
have to wade through.

I'm not positive about how it will work, and I'm not at work today
so I can't check it out: you may need to also specify -FROMDATE with
-PICK in order to view all available versions for a particular date.
In other words, I'm not sure if -TODATE=08/24/1995 -PICK will show
In other words, I'm not sure if -TODATE=08/24/1995 -PICK will show
you just the 23:15 version, or both. If you also specify
-FROMDATE=08/23/1995 on the RESTORE command (because you presumably
want backups from the 08/23/1995 incremental run), you'll see all
want backups from the 08/23/1995 incremental run), you'll see all
versions created between the 23rd and the 24th.

Hope this helps,

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521

----- forwarded letter
>      Nutshell version: we would like to restore a large number of files
>      Nutshell version: we would like to restore a large number of files
>      from a particular date (all files are now inactive - there are 5
>      versions of each file). The only way to choose the files from the

date
>      we want is to pick them from a pick list - a tedious process at

best.
>      Is there a better way? Can we sort the pick list by date rather

than
>      file? Is there a way to choose a subdir with all it's files with

one