ADSM-L

Re: restoring OS/2 machines

1995-09-20 12:01:16
Subject: Re: restoring OS/2 machines
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 12:01:16 EDT
On Tue, 19 Sep 1995 07:39:30 CST Michael Bryant said:
>>  Ronald W. Ritchey   asked:
>>  I'm looking at backing up an OS/2 machine and restoring it to another
>>  machine. Do I need to use a boot disk to make sure all the OS/2 files
>>  are closed or will adsm handle them? If my boot disk has version 1 of
>>  adsm will it restore a machine backed up with the version 2 client? If
>>  not, how do other people accomplish this?
>
>We have devised a restoration process using 4 diskettes; first two are the OS/2
>boot diskettes which are machine dependent, then a diskette for TCP/IP, and
>lastly a diskette that has ADSM.  The only drawback is that the first two
>diskettes are basically created by trial and error.  Things like micro channel,
>Pcmcia, other quirks will give you many flavors of boot diskettes.
>
>Don't have answers for version 1 vs 2.
>
>We also have disater recovery for AIX and SUN clients, but that is another
>story.  If you have more questions....
>
>michael.bryant AT ccmail.fingerhut DOT com

We have developed a document which describes how to create a set of 3
"ADSM OS/2 Rescue Diskettes" which can be used to restore an OS/2 system
while booted from these floppies.  In addition to the document, we have
also developed a Rexx exec which will actually create a customized set of
Rescue Diskettes for your particular OS/2 system.  These diskettes are
very handy for restoring an entire hard disk or repartitioning one.  This
work is based on work by several other folks including Kenneth Morse (IBM),
Jerry Lawson (ITT), and Phil West of the Georgia Tech Research Institute.

The Rexx exec is very simple to use and walks you step by step through the
entire process.  I cannot guarantee that it will work on all OS/2 systems,
but we have tried it on several different OS/2 hardware configurations here
at Cornell, and on both Warp and Warp Connect.

The relevant files can be found at:

ftp://ftp.cit.cornell.edu/pub/special/adsm/client/os2/rescue/rescue.txt
ftp://ftp.cit.cornell.edu/pub/special/adsm/client/os2/rescue/rescue.ps
ftp://ftp.cit.cornell.edu/pub/special/adsm/client/os2/rescue/rescue.zip
ftp://ftp.cit.cornell.edu/pub/special/adsm/client/os2/rescue/pkunzip.exe
ftp://ftp.cit.cornell.edu/pub/special/adsm/LEGAL

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601