ADSM-L

Re: restoring OS/2 machines

1995-09-19 09:39:30
Subject: Re: restoring OS/2 machines
From: Michael Bryant <michael.bryant AT CCMAIL.FINGERHUT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 07:39:30 CST
>  Ronald W. Ritchey   asked:
>  I'm looking at backing up an OS/2 machine and restoring it to another
>  machine. Do I need to use a boot disk to make sure all the OS/2 files
>  are closed or will adsm handle them? If my boot disk has version 1 of
>  adsm will it restore a machine backed up with the version 2 client? If
>  not, how do other people accomplish this?

We have devised a restoration process using 4 diskettes; first two are the OS/2
boot diskettes which are machine dependent, then a diskette for TCP/IP, and
lastly a diskette that has ADSM.  The only drawback is that the first two
diskettes are basically created by trial and error.  Things like micro channel,
Pcmcia, other quirks will give you many flavors of boot diskettes.

Don't have answers for version 1 vs 2.

We also have disater recovery for AIX and SUN clients, but that is another
story.  If you have more questions....

michael.bryant AT ccmail.fingerhut DOT com