ADSM-L

PTF breaks ADSM clock in MVS

1995-08-22 13:10:51
Subject: PTF breaks ADSM clock in MVS
From: Lee Calhoun <LEECU AT CUVMC.AIS.COLUMBIA DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 12:10:51 EST
Anybody running ADSM on an MVS Server should be aware of APAR PN49292
against the C/370 product (PTFs are UN55807/UN55880).  This APAR
allows C/370 to be customized to make correct time calculations for
daylight savings time.  In the midst of the APAR one finds:

   "If the time zone name is missing in the current locale, mktime()
   and localtime() will assume a time zone difference of zero."

i.e., APPLY this PTF and Boom! ADSM is now running on Greenwich Mean Time!
If your site lies east or west of GMT, your backup and archive schedules
will accordingly be adjusted... automatically!

There was no HOLDDATA on this PTF, nor any other warning when we put it on
with the rest of our system maintenance.  Suddenly all our ADSM scheduled
functions began running five hours earlier than expected, and the activity
log was likewise 5 hours off.  PN49292 is why.

PN49292 has been superseded by PN70857, which is an 'enhancement request'
as follows:

   "This apar is created to request a better way to handle the
   C/370 locales with respect to the time zone and daylight saving
   time, so user who is not interested in customizing this locale
   variables will use system time for the current calender time."

Sounds like a PE to me.

Anyway, if you have applied PN49292, your options are:
     (a) apply a USERMOD to customize C/370 to respect your system clock
         offset;
     (b) apply the fix to PN70857; or
     (c) change all your ADSM schedules to GMT.

Cheers!

Lee Calhoun, Systems Programmer - MVS
Administrative Information Services
Columbia University
Box 700 Central Mail Room, New York NY 10027
phone: (212) 854-5119 fax: (212) 854-4043