ADSM-L

Re: No disk-to-tape migration taking place

1995-08-16 13:25:57
Subject: Re: No disk-to-tape migration taking place
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:25:57 EDT
We just ran into this (or a situation very similar) last night on our
ADSM/6000 server.  The problem was caused by ADSM putting 2 of our disk
storage volumes into read-only status because of an I/O error.  Migration
would not trigger, and backups started going directly to tape.  I lowered
the HI and LO thresholds to trigger the migration.

I guess a bunch of the files on the R/O storage volumes were cached files,
so the %MIGR was not high enough to trigger migration.  On the other hand,
because the volumes were R/O, ADSM could not use these volumes to store
files on.  I think a fix might be to calculate %MIGR and %UTIL using only
R/W storage volumes in the storage pool.

..Paul