ADSM-L

[no subject]

1995-07-24 09:57:58
From: Hans Kilian <dkatplzx AT IBMMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 09:57:58 EDT
Hello.

I seem to have a problem with restoring files with ADSM. One of our users
have deleted a whole directory tree on an OS/2 machine.

We don't do the restore from the machine that took the backups, so we
use the 'Display drives for node...' option to switch to the machine
that we want to restore from. Then we can't use the 'restore to original
location', which, when used with the node-switching option, is actually
misleading, because the files won't get restored to their original
location.

So we normally use the 'Restore by file specification' option to restore
our files. But since the user has deleted a whole tree, and we would
like to keep the directory structure, I thought that I would use
'restore by subdirectory path'. We then type in the location of the
files (which by now are all inactive, since the deletion happened
before our latest backup) and the directory where we want the files
restored.

When we hit the restore-button, ADSM hangs. We did a query session on
the host, and it showed no activity at all.

My questions are:

1) Why does ADSM hang? Is there another way to accomplish a restore while
   keeping the directory structure intact?.

2) Can the 'restore by subdirectory path' be used to restore inactive
   files? Normally we use the show inactive files option, but I have
   the impression that this only relates to the 'pick-lists' we get
   when we do a 'restore by file specification'. When we do a restore
   by subdirectory tree, we don't get this pick-list. So what does the
   'show inactive files' option do on a 'restore by subdirectory tree'.

Regards,
Hans Kilian, ATP Denmark