ADSM-L

client/server security mechanisms

1995-07-21 05:42:54
Subject: client/server security mechanisms
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 11:42:54 +0200
If I understand it correctly, ADSM lacks any security feature as are common
in client/server applications, such as Kerberos or one-way passwords. Instead,
passwords are sent unencrypted across the network and they appear even in
command lines despite the fact that this makes them publicly available (in
some Unixes as long as the command is executed, in other Unixes such as AIX
only for a short time until the process has had the opportunity to erase
them).

Question to IBM:
Are there plans to add at least basic security features?

Question to customers:
If you have any sensible data, which additional security mechanisms do you
apply to prevent unauthorized access to the data?

Question to everybody:
How can I start a client without making the node password public? If I use
the password generate mechanism, the client has not the privilege to access
all users' data for backup; if I specify the password, it shows up in the
command line. Entering the password interactively each time is not feasible.
(This has been a PMR (4515x) since 1993 but is still unresolved.)

Dr. Helmut Richter
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum     X.400:  S=Richter;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21            RFC822:  Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen           Tel.:  ++49-89-2105-8785
Germany                     Fax:  ++49-89-2809460