ADSM-L

generate password + multiple nodes => multiple servers?

1995-07-21 05:24:50
Subject: generate password + multiple nodes => multiple servers?
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 11:24:50 +0200
In our environment, it becomes unavoidable that each host belongs to more
than one node: It is an AFS (no difference to NFS for this scenario) cluster,
each host has host-specific data, but the common files of the cluster should
be accessible everywhere. So each host belongs to its private node and to
the node for the common data.

Also, we have to use the password generate mechanism for security reasons.
One way to implement it is to specify a different server (referring to the
same IP address because it is in reality the same server) so that for each
server a different default node can be specified. Here we have two questions:

1. Is this trick necessary or is there a way to have generated passwords for
   more than one node on the same server?

2. Is this trick safe? We do not know for what purposes the server name is
   used. If, for instance, it is used for synchroniation, then using different
   server names for actually the same server would be unsafe.

The documentation seems to be silent on this issue (as much as on any other
issue arising in NFS or AFS clusters).

Dr. Helmut Richter
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum     X.400:  S=Richter;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21            RFC822:  Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen           Tel.:  ++49-89-2105-8785
Germany                     Fax:  ++49-89-2809460