ADSM-L

MVS Performance - Expire Interval

1995-06-26 13:06:45
Subject: MVS Performance - Expire Interval
From: Bill Chang <wcchang AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 10:06:45 PDT
Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 1995 12:27:07 EST
From:         Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Subject:      MVS Server Performance

>It seems that the big utilization occurs when the server does it's houry
>inventory of files.  I seem to remember seeing something over the list erver
>here about this indeed being true, and that there was a way to reset th hour
>intervals.  However, in searching around through my documentation, I canot
>find anything.

>Is there a way to reset the inventory process to run at a larger intervl?  If
>so, what is a more reasonable number?   What if I set it for once a day  It
>would seem that the overhead involved would not be that much greater ifthis
>activity ran every night, instead of every hour, and my resource utiliztion
>(and ultimately my chargeback to customers) would be considerably less.

Jerry,
Jerry,

In the server option file, you can specify EXPInterval n, the n is in hours.
The default is 1 hour.

After you reset the option, you need to restart your server.  The server will
automatically start the expiration process at startup and at every n hour
after that.  If you want to turn off expiration altogether, setting "EXPI 0"
will do that.  Once you turn off expiration, you must manually issue the
the command "EXPIre Inventory" (caps are abbreviations) to kick off expiration.

The "EXPI I" and the automatic expiration run on separate threads.  That isto
say, you set auto expiration to kick off every 4 hours. You can issue EXPI I
at the 2nd hour and expiration will run.  At the 4th hour, auto expriation will
also kick in.

As far as when it is best to run expiration and at what intervals, I am sure
other subscribers can give you a better idea from their "real world" environ-
ments than from my tests here in the lab.

Bill Chang
ADSM Technical Support