ADSM-L

Re: IUCV failure

1995-05-22 22:12:25
Subject: Re: IUCV failure
From: David Boyes <dboyes AT WOOD.HELIOS.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 21:12:25 -0500
> I sent this message on Friday and have not heard from anyone.  The client
> was okay on Wednesday but not on Friday--I sure could use some insight.
> ANS5653E IUCV connection failure.
> ANS5519E Unable to establish session with server.
> ANS5103I Highest return code was -180.

I've seen this appear if a IUCV-connected client has had CMS die
horribly and only partially clean up the IUCV control blocks in
the virtual machine. The server IUCV control code still thinks
that the connection is there and will be reactivated at some
point, and is waiting for some kind of handshake to say "hi, I'm
back", but with the pending IUCV sever from the client side, it
never gets anywhere and won't talk to anyone via IUCV until the
server ID is logged off and back on.

The banner from the CMS client is for release 0 of the client --
you should check with level 1 support and get the current client
code; there's been at least 1 update since the release code
(somewhere around server level 5 or 6).

The quick and dirty fix is to halt the server from the console of
the server ID and do a quick recycle of the server userid
(complete logoff and back on) and then try to reconnect. The
server should start accepting connections at that point.