ADSM-L

Include/Exclude list

1995-05-18 15:13:34
Subject: Include/Exclude list
From: Jane Dagostino-Snyder <j-dago AT CAFE.TC.UMN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 14:13:34 -0500
I am having a problem with my include/exclude list.  As you read this
message, you will realize just how inexperienced I am but may find it
quite amusing!  here goes:  The environment, am running ADSM v1.r1
level 0.18 on OS/2, both as the ADSM administrator and as the client
(ADSM backup-archive client) from the same PC, the client does not have
a server assigned but is backing up to its hard drive with the default
management class.  In the OS/2 directory it contains 2 dms options files,
one is called the dms.options file (which I believe is for the ADMIN role on
this P.C.) and one is called dsmclien.opt (which I believe is for the client)
this is the hat that I want to be wearing now.  I want to establish a test
environment by creating test files, etc and get a feel for this.  Although I
understand that the directories get backed up even if you exclude them,
other groups of fields are being excluded and are still being backed up.
Apparently, I am doing something(s) wrong.  Is this the right option file?
How does one go about verifying what is and is not a directory?  (I don't
know much about OS/2 either, yeah I know).  There is what my
dsmclien.opt file looks like:  these are lined up but may not look like this as
you view this note:    exclude    OS/2 recommended files
this really doesn't say that, the first portion I am listing files that ate
listed
in the OS/2 book to NOT backup.  The second part is what I wrote and
what I am questioning:  exclude    c:\ADSM.*.*
                                       exclude    c:\cmlib.*.*.*
                                       exclude    c:\desktop.*.*
                                       exclude    c:\muglib.*.*
                                       include     c:\ditest1\*.*

  The first four names are from the directory tree view in the adsm
backup-archive backup option and well, don't know really what ditest is,
gives it in the sample dmsclien opt file.  This this a dummy file, example or
for you to modify?

So this is what I'm working with , any help would be appreciated,  I know
that I am confused so any comment, suggestions, pointers would help.
Is my thinking flawed?  Sorry note is so long.  Thanks, Jane