ADSM-L

Re: restoring from tape

1995-05-16 04:21:43
Subject: Re: restoring from tape
From: Pieter Groen <Pieter.Groen AT UCI.KUN DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 09:21:43 +0100
On Mon, 15 May 1995 15:44:10 -0600 (CST) Bill Harvey said:
>We just tried to restore a file from our VM server to a Windows
>client.  The file had been migrated to a tape stgpool.  The server
>requested the tape be mounted, but, when it was, the server rejected
>the tape with the message:
>   ANR5308E Volume on radr is not write protected.
>
>The tape is a 3480, if that matters.  We tried all combinations of
>setting the write-protect switch on the tape and issuing the command:
>   UPDATE VOL volser ACCESS=READONLY
>all to no apparent effect.  The tape was always rejected with message
>ANR5308E.  Could someone explain to me what that message means, and
>how to get around this problem so that we can restore our file?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Bill

I had a similar problem when I started to use tapes with ADSM.
For the mounting of tapes we are using VMTAPE in an exit machine.
The VM server asks the exit machine to mount a tape R/W (for writing)
or R/O (read-only). I had to add explicitly the option WRITE or READ on
the VMTAPE MOUNT command, because the VM server checks the mount mode
before it is using the mounted tape.
I hope this helps.
Greetings,
Pieter