ADSM-L

LAGO datawheel and AUDIT LIBRARY

1995-05-11 10:13:25
Subject: LAGO datawheel and AUDIT LIBRARY
From: Lothar Butsch <but AT UNIBW-HAMBURG DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 16:13:25 +0200
Hi,
  yesterday I had some trouble with our LAGO datawheel and now want to
know if I can improve the solution that I found.

  I am working with ADSM/6000 server version 1.2.0.5/1.5. Attached to our
server is a LAGO datawheel. Today I had to rebuild the table of
contents of this datawheel and startet 'AUDIT LIBRARAY'. After some
time there occured a hardware error on one of the datawheel's tape drives
and after auditing had ended, most of the tapes in the library had
disppeared from its table of contents (could not be seen with 'Q LIBVOLUME').
I shut down ADSM, manually unloaded all the tapes that had disappeared,
deleted the faulty tape drive and checked the tapes in again.

Now my questions:
Wouldn't it be better to automatically cancel an 'AUDIT LIBRARY'
  after hadware errors and return to the previous state?
Does an 'AUDIT LIBRARY' check every slot in a datawheel or just those
  slots, that ADSM knows to contain tapes? (My exprience says, it does not
  check every slot; that's why I didn't do another AUDIT but CHECKINS)
How can I tell ADSM to check if a slot in a datawheel contains a tape?
How can I ask ADSM to read the label of the tape of a specified slot.
How can I check in the tape in a specified slot (read its label and
  insert it into the table of contents)?

Thank you,
  Lothar

Lothar Butsch, University of Federal Armed Forces, Hamburg, Germany
Lothar Butsch, University of Federal Armed Forces, Hamburg, Germany