ADSM-L

Optimum backuppool disk size

1995-05-05 15:49:38
Subject: Optimum backuppool disk size
From: Abi Admassu <abi.admassu AT UCOP DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 12:49:38 -0700
Hi everyone,

We are running ADSM on MVS server with several windows and MAC clients.
When I do a query to see disk storage pool statistics, I see:

Storage              Device          Estimated  %Util  %Migr  High   Low
Next
Pool Name         Class Name  Capacity                         Mig%  Mig%
Storage
                                             (MB)
Pool
-----------  ----------  ----------  -----  -----  ----  ----  -----------
BACKUPPOOL   DISK           1,260.3      91.9     29.2      80      20
BACKUPPOOL   DISK           1,260.3      91.9     29.2      80      20
BACKTAPE

Following in the formula given in the Administrator's Guide, I calculated
the space needed for BACKUPPOOL:

 backupspace = AvgWkstSize * utilization * VersionExpansion * NumWkst
                     = 325MB  *  .70  *  1.05  *  122
                     = 29,142.75 MB
Is this number including data that is migrating to tapes?

How can I find out what the optimum size for our disk storage pool is?
Thanks for any help.

Abi
abi.admassu AT ucop DOT edu