ADSM-L

Storage Pool Configuration Performance Issues

1995-05-04 12:30:04
Subject: Storage Pool Configuration Performance Issues
From: Bob Klein <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 12:30:04 EDT
We are preparing to migrate from a "sandbox" environment to
something a bit more realistic and I am concerned about
scalability issues.  Currently we are running the server on
mvs but may switch at some point to one or more RS6000s.  My
question is about configuring storage pools.  From a performance
point of view, does it make any difference whether we have
several disk storage pools each with only one storage volume
(say 500 mb) or one storage pool containing several 500 mb
storage volumes.  I assume having one storage pool with one
large storage volume is not a good idea, because adsm may well
not be able to backup several clients to the same storage
volume simultaneously.  Can/does the adsm server backup
multiple clients to the same storage pool simultaneously provided
there are multiple storage volumes in the pool with space; or
does adsm insist on first filling up one storage volume in a pool
before starting to use another, i.e., using only one storage
volume in a pool at a time.

Thanks for any observations.

Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607