ADSM-L

Re: TapePrompt...

1995-05-03 13:42:46
Subject: Re: TapePrompt...
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 12:42:46 EST
I have seen the same thing on Windows clients - a prompt for a tape mount on a
backup.  In the first case it was a bad FAT pointer - the file showed a size
of 4GB (on a 500M hard drive - good trick).  Our DASD pool is only 1GB, and so
ADSM tried to put the file directly to tape.  We replied cancel at this point,
so I don't know what really would have happened....  More often, we see a
situation where the customer is wanting to backup a large file, and the file
is bigger than the remaining free space in the pool - then we get the tape
mount request.

BTW, we have submitted a requirement to IBM that basically says if you get a
tape prompt, and there is no reply after a set interval (5 min?), then assume
that it was OK to wait, and mount the volume.  An IBMer suggested the
requirement, so hopefully it will get a good response.

Jerry Lawson