ADSM-L

Re: ESTCAPACITY parm

1995-05-03 13:23:10
Subject: Re: ESTCAPACITY parm
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 12:23:10 EST
> When defining a device class, the ESTCAPACITY parm is optional, and
> ADSM then does its best to determine a value based on the tape format
> being used.  The question is, if I am using 3490 tapes with IDRC and
> specify a value less than what the tape can hold (or take the default,
> which is also less than what the 3490 with IDRC can hold), will ADSM only
> partially fill the tape?  Or will it disregard this value and use all of
> the tape?

ADSM will use all of a tape.  The estimated capacity value is used in
reports to you as a tape is filling.  Once a tape is filled, the
actual capacity is used by ADSM.

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE