ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 18:19:39
I'm in the process of evaluating ADSM for use in our building and, since I
manage our machines from a Linux workstation, I thought it would be nice if
ADSM would back up our Linux machines as well as our Suns, Macs and PCs.

The good news is, Linux can run the SCO client binares with the help of a
kernel module called iBCS (for Intel Binary Compatability Specification).

The biggest problem I had was coming up with a SCO-style /etc/mnttab file so
ADSM would know where/what all my filesystems were.  Thanks to a perl script
and some helpfull people in the SCO newsgroups, I've got things working.

For Linux you need:

the iBCS package, which contains the source for the kernel module:

<ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/BETA/ibcs2/>

ibcs-1.2-950413.tar.gz and ibcs-1.2-950413.patch1 are the current files,
be sure to apply the patch, without it iBCS has a nasty shared memory bug that
prevents dsm/dsmc from loading/communicating with dsmtca.

make the module and load it with something like

# insmod /usr/lib/modules/iBCS

next get the SCO client disk images (shhh, they're really tar files), untar
them into some scratch space, and copy the ./usr/adsm files to somewhere on
your Linux box and link /usr/adsm to it.

now you need an /etc/mnttab file, the perl script at the end of this message
will create one from a Linux /etc/mtab file.  it'll make entries for all
non-nfs and proc filesystems (Yes, you can backup msdos filesystems mounted
under Linux)

from here, run and configure ADSM just like you would for any other UNIX box,
I've got "dsmc sched -q" started from my /etc/inittab file and I regularly use
dsmadmc from the Linux box to issue server commands.

Some caveats,

* You'll need a recent Linux kernel (I don't _think_ this will work in the
1.0.x versions, probably best to try it on a 1.2.x system)

* ADSM will report the filesystem type as garbage, this is obviously because of
the differences between SCO and Linux filesystems.

* You'll need a DOMain line in dsm.opt, since ADSM can't tell what kind of fs
everything is, it doesn't know what's locally mounted.

* ADSM will report file systes and filesystem sizes as half of what they really
are, I guess SCO uses 512-byte blocks.  from what I can tell this is only an
appearance problem... I've restored lots of files and they all diff the same as
originals.  Cross-platform restores works fine as far as I can tell too.

* If you plan to start dsmc sched on boot, make sure you have your boot files
insmod the kernel module before dsmc tries to start.

* Kernel modules are dependant on kernel versions, remember to recompile the
iBCS module if you change kernel versions.

If anyone's got any questions about setting this up I'll try to help.

--
# Baba Z Buehler - 'Hackito Ergo Sum'
# Baba Z Buehler - 'Hackito Ergo Sum'