ADSM-L

ASDM PROCESSORUTILATION QUESTION

1995-04-30 16:46:33
Subject: ASDM PROCESSORUTILATION QUESTION
From: Frank Ramke <ramke AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 1995 13:46:33 PDT
> OM: L. W. Laws
>     463 IC
>     EXT. 6617
> ........................ Level 8 READ.ME file indicates this
> setting is 0 to 1000. Which is correct and how should I determine
> what is the best value to use for a particular server? If I am doing
> backups at night when there is very little activity is it OK to set
> this very high, ie 1000?

Jim,
ProcessorUtilization has no upper limit. The number is based on
a Netware clock tick, 1/100  of a second. Therefore, a ProcessorUtilization
number of 100 will not do a threadSwitch for up to 1 second.

You'll see the most benifit using this option if your using
file compression/decompression as this is the most processor intensive
function of the client.

If you set this option to 1000, that would allow ADSM to hog
the CPU for a full 10 seconds, which would in turn probably
disconnect any user that happened to be logged on. Use the
high number in emergencies, ie. just blown a disk, and need
it back fast!

Frank Ramke