ADSM-L

ADSM questions

1995-04-27 10:15:21
Subject: ADSM questions
From: Ron Ritchey <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 09:15:21 CDT
The interest in ADSM is growing at the University of Nebraska. We have
a lot of questions and concerns. Any help you could provide us would
be greatly appreciated.

We have been running ADSM in test mode for over a year. The interest
has started to grow. Do any of you have documentation on how you setup
ADSM and why? I have a meeting in two weeks with our four campuses and
need to create a campus wide proposal. This proposal needs to include
all aspects of ADSM, communication, hardware, administration, ect.
It would be great if there is another university that could share how
they are setup and provide the reasons why they chose to go that way.

I need to get a copy of the latest documentation. Is there an Internet
site where I can retrieve them? If not, I think IBM needs to consider
creating one. Well there is already one at INDEX.STORSYS.IBM.COM, all
they need to do is copy them out there.

We are looking at backing up 3000-5000 clients. Does anyone know how
the licensing is handled?

Is anyone else using ADSM to backup an OS/2 LAN Server that is running
HPFS? We are and it keeps changing the the last accessed date on the
files. If you want to check this, just use the drives icon to pull up
a folder full of files. Then click the right mouse button on the upper
left corner of the folder, choose open and then choose detailed view.
If you are having this problem as well, I would appreciate it if you
would report it to IBM.

The next paragraph is intended for ADSM support. You don't need to
read it unless you want to hear me complain about IBM's support.

I reported the above problem in November and nothing has been done about
it yet. I would guess that IBM thinks it is no big deal,"It only
changes the last-access date." You wouldn't think that if you used
the last access date to do weekly cleanup of your servers. All I can say
is if you are running OS/2 LAN Servers don't plan on running ADSM as
your backup utility because IT CHANGES THE LAST-ACCESS DATES ON ALL OF
THE FILES. Sorry about my bitching, but I have been waiting for
months (6-7) for the problem to be corrected and nothing has done about
it. This needs to be corrected before we can use ADSM campus wide. There
is a lot of interest in the product and my report will not be favorable
if this doesn't get corrected. We need to decide it we are going to
spend the $$$$ on additional hardware to support this product. If the
problem is not fixed we will have no need to pursue it. Enough said.

| Ronald W. Ritchey                    Systems Programmer/Analyst      |
| University of Nebraska               Internet: OSG0312 AT uneb DOT edu      |
| 235 Nebraska Hall                    BITNET:   OSG0312@unlvm         |
| Lincoln NE, 68588-0521               Phone:    (402)472-7605         |