ADSM-L

recovery log sizes

1995-04-21 10:56:33
Subject: recovery log sizes
From: Wendy Backup Buddha Alberg <WAXY AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 10:56:33 EDT
  In a post yesterday Dick Fontaine <rmfontaine AT VNET.IBM DOT COM> gives the
following specs for sizes of initial EZADSM logs and disk storage pools:

>                    The space requirements are:
>              log - 9MB
>               db - 5MB
>  Backup strgpool - 8MB
> Archive strgpool - 8MB
>-------------------------
>           total - 30MB

Did whoever came up with these numbers have any sort of formula for
deriving them?  I'm curious to find some way to predict how big to
make the recovery log vs the database log and disk storage pools and
number of clients.  Our recovery log has filled up mysteriously twice
so far.  Each time all server activity stopped.  We're at a loss to
figure out why the log filled, or how big we need to make it to prevent
filling it again.  Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for setting
recovery log space?

Here's what we had the latest time the log filled up:
  recovery log      74MB
  database         1.5GB
  active clients     201
  backup disk stg    2GB
  archive disk stg   2GB

Wendy Alberg, Computer Resources Technical Support Group, 315 CCC,
Cornell Information Technologies, Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY 14853
wa10 AT cornell DOT edu    607/255-2672