ADSM-L

Re: FILE LOC

1995-04-14 14:08:28
Subject: Re: FILE LOC
From: Bill Coughlin <wcoughlin AT GPU DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 13:08:28 EST
--- Received from GPUSC.G2087  910-5180 FAX5567     04/14/95 13.06
  -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
  -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
Paul & Paul:  yes, I want to be able to find all occurrences across
ALL NODES; Backup/Archive; Concerning the security/privacy issues - as
"Enterprise Storage" management, we have global access to files - both
on the "host" (MVS) server as well as on individual nodes, however,
some confidential information is audited (Via Top Secret on the MVS
mainframe).  However, I really don't want to access the files, I just
want info as to where they reside (for example, we could tell what
nodes have what version of a specific program, etc) - somehow, we
could then even tie this in to software distribution.  Also, we would
also have a better handle on licensing of software - even though we
are supposed to know what we have, it is very difficult to keep track
of what we have. (multiple locations - 130+ LAN SERVER servers, some
Novell, and 40+ RS6000) with over 6,000 intelligent workstations (we
aren't backing up to the workstation level yet (except where needed -
for example, to replace a tape backup unit)
Perhaps there is a way to take a snapshot of the ADSM database, extract
the pertinent info and create another type of database that I can do
my queries/reports against.
                               Thanks again.     Bill
                                                 wcoughlin AT gpu DOT com
On Fri, 14 Apr 1995 08:24:56 PDT Paul L. Bradshaw said:

>To find all locations of a specific file, first select the drives you
>wish the scan to cover in the lower drive box on the main GUI panel.
>Then do a restore by file specification, and input "excel.exe".  The code
>will search for all "active" versions of excel.exe over the drives you
>selected.  You could find all versions as well by specifying "show
>active and inactive" files under the options menu.
>
>You will be given a list of all files found, and then you can choose to
>do a different search or restore one or more of the files found.
>
>Paul

Paul,

I thought Bill was asking for that too, but upon care re-reading, what he
asked for was the ability to find all existences of a filename across all
nodes on the server (correct me if I'm wrong, Bill).  This would have to
be an administrator command, I would think.  There are security/privacy
implications to this, but I don't think it would set any new precedents,
since I think it is now possible for a server administrator to list all
files on a particular storage volume.

This would make it easy for someone to locate all copies of a particular
software product, for example.

..Paul