ADSM-L

ADSM performance

1995-04-12 19:36:48
Subject: ADSM performance
From: "Hince, Eric" <hince AT MORAINE.CC.IL DOT US>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 17:36:48 CST
     We are just implementing ADSM and are having performance problems. Our
     environment is as follows: VM/ESA server (running latest code)
     connected via a block multiplexor channel adapter to an RS/6000 which
     in turn is connected to a 16Mbps token ring network. The protocol we
     are using is TCP/IP. All TCP/IP traffic that flows from the client to
     the VM server goes through the RS/6000. When doing our test backups,
     the throughput rate calculates out to approx. 10-12 hours for 1 GB of
     data. This seems excessive. A few details: clients are Netware;
     Netware machines are relatively fast 80486 machines, compression is on
     (when compression is turned off throughput decreases), I believe we
     have resolved a packet fragmentation problem we were experiencing -
     max physical packet size throughout is now 4056 bytes. Does anyone
     have any feeling as to whether this is normal data transfer time? It
     seems extraordinarily slow to me. Any suggestions as to tuning? By the
     way, the data transfer rate from an OS/2 client is comparably slow. If
     you prefer, you may reply by email directly to me at the address
     below. Thanks!

     Eric Hince
     Moraine Valley Community College
     hince AT moraine.cc.il DOT us