ADSM-L

NetWare TCP Level

1995-03-28 16:35:56
Subject: NetWare TCP Level
From: Andy Carlson <andyc AT ANDYC.CARENET DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 15:35:56 CST
Thanks for resending it.  It was not a mistransmission or unclear.  I
read the note, printed it for another person, then deleted it, which I
will not do from noew on.  The printer mangled it so I needed another
copy.  Thanks alot.

> I think the note you refer to was mine .... was there a problem with
> transmission, or am I just not clear in my explanation?
>
> At the risk of boring everyone with my prose, I'll try to be a little clearer
> as follows:
>
> The NetWare TCP/IP that comes with 3.11 (and also I believe 3.12) had some
> early problems with losing connections.  These problems were addressed by
> Novell; the current fix level is TCP187.EXE (which we are running) or
> TCP188.EXE which came out late last fall.  We had a Netware server that was
> running early 3.11 TCP/IP code and experienced the problem; we applied the
> TCP187 maintenance, and also the other IBM suggested ADSM mintenance - LIBUP3
> and STRTL3, and the problem went away.  All of this maintenance is available
> through the Novell NetWire service on Compuserve, also via their Internet Web
> server, although TCP187 seems to be missing.
>
> If you are already at these levels, and you still have the problem, the first
> thing I would look at is to be sure that you are specifying "SLOWINCREMENTAL
> ON" in the DSM.OPT.  Turning this on causes ADSM to only map in memory the
> current directory tree that he is working on, as opposed to the whole
> directory structure.  On servers with lots of files and a huge directory tree,
> this can be a lot of memory; Slowincremental minimizes this need..
>
> The third suggestion had to do with the Memory settings for the NetWare server
> itself.  I am not a NetWare LAN admin, and so am not up to date with all of
> the ins and outs here (but I can find out if you need to), but as I understand
> it, the short and long term memory pools expand dynamically; ADSM can use a
> lot of memory from these pools.  To avoid problems, I have seen suggestions
> that you set these as high as you think you can get away with, monitor them
> while ADSM is running, and then set them lower accordingly.
>
> Hope this clarifies and helps some.
>
> Jerry Lawson

 Andy Carlson  work: (314) 362-0516      fax: (314) 362-4495
 Barnes Jewish Christian Health Services   St. Louis MO
 Email Address:  andyc AT andyc.carenet DOT org
                 andyc AT spectrum.carenet DOT org
                 ts55428 AT bjcmail.carenet DOT org

 "If this gets any more cloying, I think I'll vomit".
             - Beldin at the Vale of Aldur