ADSM-L

....q's about ADSM clients Glenn - I can answer part of your questions...

1995-03-28 07:32:22
Subject: ....q's about ADSM clients Glenn - I can answer part of your questions...
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 07:32:22 EST
> - NetWare Client, NW3.12, using TCPIP.NLM for comms, running
>on hardware varying from a Compaq Prosignia VS to a Tandy 4000
>(bleaghhh): both "LOAD DSMC INC" and "LOAD DSMC SCHED" (when scheduled
>backup runs) have a TCP/IP failure part way through the incremental
>backup.  When "LOAD DSMC INC" is rerun immediately, client skips files
>already backed up, picks up where it left off, gets a sunstantially
>smaller subset of the data, TCP/IP failure again.  Repeated trials
>seem to show the total amount of files/data approaching a horizontal
>asymptote.  My pet theory is that the client is running out of memory
>in which to manage the file list.

There are a couple of things you can look at here - first be sure that you
NetWare TCP/IP is at least at TCP187 level - we had a similar problem with the
initial maintenance, and the Novell documentation talks about a similar
problem.  If that's not it, then the problem may be as you have speculated
(not enough memory).  There are a couple of things to do here - in the ADSM
options, select SLOWINCREMENTAL YES - this tells ADSM to only build the
subdirectory path he is needs for the current backup, and not the whole thing
at one time.  Also, I have seen it documented to set the memory pool in
NetWare to 10M; you can then monitor this pool and see where it really needs
to be.

I cannot help on the Windows problems - I have not seen anything like the
problem you describe - we are not running that configuration.  My only
suggestion would be to closely look at the level of WinSock supported by you
TCP/IP - I believe ADSM does not support 1.0, only 1.1 or 1.2????

Jerry Lawson