ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 1.2.1 versus 1.2

1995-03-27 18:37:34
Subject: Re: ADSM 1.2.1 versus 1.2
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 18:37:34 EST
On Mon, 27 Mar 1995 13:47:05 EST R. Alexander said:
>Two weeks ago, IBM announced ADSM 1.2.1 with server support
>for non-IBM platforms.  The pricing strategy also changed substantially.

We are also concerned about the change in pricing strategy.

1) The announcement for 1.2.1 did not include any MLC option (monthly fees).
   We currently use MLC, and will want to continue doing so.

2) When/If we get a 3494, we plan to share it with our MVS system.  It will
   be a multi-frame 3494, but we only plan to use 1 frame's worth of data
   storage capacity for ADSM/6000.  We do not wish to pay the multi-frame
   fees, if we are only using one frame.  (the one-frame fee is $17K, and
   the multi-frame fee is $34K, I believe).

3) 1.2.1 does not have graduated storage licensing fees (pay higher license
   fees for managing more storage).  The impact of this on us is that we
   must pay more cost up-front, before we have a large user base to support
   the license fees.

Of these concerns, the first is the most important to us.

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601