ADSM-L

ADSM/6000 processes

1995-03-25 14:32:00
Subject: ADSM/6000 processes
From: Barry Fruchtman <bf AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 12:32:00 MST
Ref:  Your note of Fri, 24 Mar 1995 20:34:45 -0800

 Jo Ann asks why ADSM/6000 starts up 26 processes:

 The actual number of processes started up will vary
depending on your setup.  It will be at least 21, though.
ADSM is a highly multi-threaded server.  Individual threads
are used for managing all the components of the server
including the data base, log, internal buffers, storage pool
volumes, console, communications, library management, and
on and on. After startup, each session with a client consumes
another process - sessions for clients are not started when
the server is started which is why modifying the maximum number
of sessions has no effect.
  AIX version 3 does not have thread support.  AIX version 4
does have thread support.  At some point, we will convert
to threads rather than processes and the resultant overhead
decrease will be substanatial.  At this time, there is no
delivery date for this change ( we will still support AIX v. 3).

Barry Fruchtman
ADSM Development