ADSM-L

Re: include/exclude specs

1995-03-23 10:07:39
Subject: Re: include/exclude specs
From: Bob Klein <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 10:07:39 EST
> I should have mentioned that we are using AFS. In AFS in general every
> user homedirectory is corresponding to a AFS volume and therefore to a
> mountpoint. That kind of mountpoints is not recognized by ADSM, all AFS
> files and directories are treated as local file system objects.
> To unmount the volumes would prevent ADSM to run into the excluded trees
> but there is no way to daily unmount 7000 volumes just for a backup.
>
> Werner
>

> --

I would like more information on how you are using adsm to
backup your afs files.  We are running afs here and I backup
some of my afs files from my SUN.  Because adsm for SUN does not
support the backing up ACLs along with the files, this is only
a partial solution.  The best approach would be to be able to
do the backup from the afs file servers rather than from
individual clients.

To deal with the problem of not considering anything else in the
afs file space but my own home directory, I use the following
statement in dsm.sys:

virtualm /afs/alw.nih.gov/dcrt/kl2

That statement allows me to use the following in dsm.opt:

 domain /afs/alw.nih.gov/dcrt/kl2

So only subdirectories of my afs home directory are even
considered.  I then use include/exclude statements to narrow
down further which subdirectories of my home directory actually
get backed up.

Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607