ADSM-L

NetWare restores and Macintosh Namespace

1995-03-21 18:38:53
Subject: NetWare restores and Macintosh Namespace
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 18:38:53 EST
This is a NetWare question, related to one that was asked quite some time
ago.

Briefly, the question is this:

  If you restore an entire NetWare server (or disk) using ADSM, will the
  Macintosh namespace be correctly restored?

The related question that came up before is included below for reference.
The conclusion then was: If you restore an individual mac-accessible file
to a DIFFERENT directory, then the macintosh name will not be properly
restored.  However, if you restore the file to the SAME directory, then the
macintosh name WILL be restored.  My question is, if you restore the whole
server, will the macintosh names be properly restored?  We have many
NetWare servers that serve files to Macintoshes, so this is very important
to us.  This question came up now, because of a user who is looking to use
ADSM to replace an old small disk with a new large one, and wants to use
ADSM to restore the entire contents of the disk, without losing the Mac
names.

Thank you in advance for the answer to my question!

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601
--
Here is the previous problem statement and IBM's response.
Here is the previous problem statement and IBM's response.

  >  From:         "Michael W. Kearney" <MICHAEL AT PENNDRLS.UPENN DOT EDU>
  >  Subject:      Restoring Mac files on a Netware Server
  >
  >  We have discovered a feature of the ADSM Netware client which may be
  >  of interest to the group: if you are restore a Netware file which
  >  is being served to a Macintosh and choose to restore it to a location
  >  other than its original location, the file name, as it appears to the
  >  Macintosh user, is NOT preserved. The Netware name is used. A
  >  (hypothetical) example:
  >
  >  The original file is an executable named 'Microsoft Word' in
  >  'Applications' folder. Its Netware name is some DOS-like thing (I
  >  don't know the exact mapping algorithm) like: MC~RSFT.WRD. If you
  >  restore the file to the Netware directory which maps to the
  >  'Word Processor' folder, it appears to the Mac user to have
  >  the name MC~RSFT.WRD. This is clearly a big usability issue as it
  >  doesn't take much imagination to come up with scenarios where one would
  >  like to restore a file to a location other than the originating one,
  >  AND have its file name preserved.
  >
  >  This presumably isn't a problem when Netware is serving files to
  >  DOS machines, as the 8.3 file naming conventions are the same. IBM has
  >  opened (and closed) an APAR on this, because apparently the Macintosh
  >  file namespace information is NOT currently backed up by the Netware
  >  client and it will take a major functional enhancement to be able to do
  >  it. The APAR number is IC06774.
  >
  >  IBM has agreed to watch this forum for reactions to this posting
  >  and pass them on to the development team. I'd appreciate your comments
  >  as to the relevance/difficulty this feature poses for your
  >  organizations. It's probably going to cost us some Netware customers
  >  here.
  >  Thanks. Michael Kearney

--- Copy of IBM Problem Management Record for this problem ---
   APAR Identifier ...... IC06774      Last Changed ........ 94/04/05
   APAR Identifier ...... IC06774      Last Changed ........ 94/04/05
   ADSM DOES NOT RESTORE MACINTOSH NAME SPACE FILENAMES (VIA
   NETWARE) WHEN RESTORING FILES TO A NEW LOCATION

   Symptom ...... IN INCORROUT         Status ........... CLOSED  DOC
   Severity ................... 4      Date Closed ......... 94/04/05
   Component .......... 564802008      Duplicate of .........
   Reported Release ......... 110      Fixed Release ............
   Component Name ADSM NOVELL CLI      Special Types ....
   Current Target Date ..              Type of Relief ..Not Available
   SCP ................... NOVLD1      Platform ............ NOVELL

   Status Detail: Not Available
   PE PTF List:

   PTF List:

   Parent APAR:
   Child APAR list:

   ERROR DESCRIPTION:
   Customer restoring files on the ADSM NetWare client with
   Macintosh namespace names.  If the file is restored to the
   same location, the Macintosh namespace name is correctly
   restored.  If customer restores the file to a new location,
   the new file name does not reflect the Macintosh namespace
   name but the DOS eight-dot-three name.  Customer views this
   as a severe limitation

   LOCAL FIX:

   PROBLEM SUMMARY: NETWARE CLIENT DOES NOT RESTORE MAC-NAME
   SPACE FILE SPACES

   PROBLEM CONCLUSION: THE FOLLOWING TEXT WILL BE ADDED TO THE
   NOVELL BOOK:  "IF YOU ARE RESTORING FILES TO A DIFFERENT
   DIRECTORY, THE FILE NAMES BECOME THE NAMES YOU SPECIFY WITH THE
   'DESTINATIONFILESPEC' OPTION.  ALSO, BECAUSE ONLY DOS NAMES ARE
   VALID WITHIN THE ADSM NETWARE CLIENT, THE FILE NAME BECOMES A
   DOS NAME.