ADSM-L

Re: ADSM via FTP: Releases vs. Fixes

1995-03-20 17:26:19
Subject: Re: ADSM via FTP: Releases vs. Fixes
From: John VanderWerf <jtv AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 14:26:19 PST
Jeff Brooks <JEFF AT WVNVM.WVNET DOT EDU> wrote:
> I've noticed that at least some of the ADSM client PTF disk images
> can be used for installing the ADSM client on a new system.  So...
> what's the difference between the code in the /releases and /fixes
> directories on index.storsys.ibm.com?  Are the disk images in /releases
> for the initial release, or the latest release?

The code in /adsm/releases is for the initial release of the V1 R2 clients
and servers.  For the clients, this code is basically historical because the
PTF's are complete replacements.  Once the next release of the clients comes
out, we will replace the /adsm/releases code that you see there today.  For
the servers, you must have the initial releases installed first, then put
on the maintenance in /adsm/fixes.

> We are going to be handing out _lots_ of diskettes in the near future,
> and I'd really like to know whether, e.g., Windows or OS/2 users have
> to first install the client disk(s) from /releases, then the PTF disk(s)
> from /fixes, or whether we can just hand out one or the other.

For the clients, the PTF disk images are complete replacements.  You don't
need to install the base releases in /adsm/releases first.  I'll look into
making this clear in the messages that are displayed as you cd around.

John VanderWerf
IBM San Jose Programming Lab