ADSM-L

ADSM LU6.2 Throughput

1995-03-16 12:47:35
Subject: ADSM LU6.2 Throughput
From: Jeff Renicker <jrenicker AT GOODYEAR DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 12:47:35 EST
On March 14, Bud Porter wrote:
>I'm interested in seeing some throughput figures from anyone using ADSM/MVS
in a
> network
>environment similiar to the following:
>
>Token-Ring backbone (16MB)
>multiple Novell Netware 3.12 servers on the ring
>a unix machine on the token-ring acting as a router to it's own ethernet
network
>MVS/XA attached to the backbone via 3745 (only LU6.2 is supported, no TCP/IP)
>
>Could anyone provide some average throughput figures from the Netware
servers to
> the host;
>from a unix machine on the ethernet network through the router to the host?

We have a similar network consisting of NetWare 3.12 servers sitting on a
16 Mb backbone going into a 3745-170.  Our ADSM server is on MVS/ESA 4.3.
We run only LU6.2, no TCP/IP (yet, although we will by summer).  We do have
an ethernet going through a router into the 3745, but we only have NetWare and
OS/2 clients on it.

The numbers we see for NetWare range from 171 KB/sec to 425 KB/sec (from the
ADSM stats at the end of each backup).  The average is around 285 KB/sec.  We do
not use compression on any NetWare client.

One thing we found is that the number of files backed up has a greater effect
on elapsed time than does the amount of data.  For example, we have a Lotus
Notes server on NetWare which has very large files (Notes databases) and it's
throughput is anywhere from 1282 KB/sec to 5095 KB/sec (avg is 2830 KB/sec).

We talked to some ADSM folks and they mentioned that the number of files
that ADSM
has to scan on each client is a big factor.  In our case, the first NetWare
server listed
above inspects around 128,000 objects (files) every backup and actually backs up
around 1,500 per night.  The Notes server, on the other hand, only inspects
around
5,000 objects and backs up only 350, on average.

The 3745 also plays a part in the throughput.  We brought in a 3172-3 for a
trial and
the first NetWare server saw it's throughput go from 285 KB/sec to 965 KB/sec.
Needless to say, we have a 3172-3 on order.

I hope this answers some of your questions.  If you wish any additional detail,
fell free to contact me either by e-mail or phone.  I can be reached by
e-mail at
jrenicker AT goodyear DOT com and by phone at (216) 796-5615.
Jeffrey E. Renicker
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
Mail : jrenicker AT goodyear DOT com