ADSM-L

Mac Client TCP/IP Communicatins Failure

1995-02-27 14:18:49
Subject: Mac Client TCP/IP Communicatins Failure
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax:" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 11:18:49 PST
Re: Note from you attached below

>We are running into problems doing incremental backups from
>Macs to our MVS adsm server.  In the middle of the backup, the
>user gets a tcp/ip communications failure message.  If the files
>are backed up only a few at a time, though, they can all be
>backed up.  I did a quick check of the archives (searching on mac)
>and did not see a posting that referred to this problem.  Has
>anyone experienced a problem of this sort?  Thanks.

Does your Mac happen to be on a straight AppleTalk network (no Ethernet
or Token Ring?)  Due to the limited speed of AppleTalk, we have
seen TCP/IP timeouts when doing large incrementals, particularly when
backing up multiple AppleTalk Macs at the same time.

You can try increading the comm timeout parameter on the server.
This would tell the server to wait longer before timing out the TCP
session.

Brett Walker
ADSM Client Development