ADSM-L

Using Access Authorizations to distribute client updates

1995-02-24 13:45:14
Subject: Using Access Authorizations to distribute client updates
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax:" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 10:45:14 PST
Re: Note from you attached below

>We're trying to fashion a distribution method via ADSM, and were
>looking toward grabbing and storing code updates from index.systor
>on a local RS/6000, backing it up into ADSM MVS server, and letting
>clients have restore access to specific directories.

> Has anyone got this working?? Are there particulars about how
>various flavors of clients can access the data (can a netware
>get the file from an AIX for example). Any experiences and
>guideance is greatly appreciated.

Jon,

Just a couple things to watch out for.  Clients will filter out filespaces
that they don't understand.  So if you backup the latest clients via
an AIX client, non-unix clients won't be able to see the filespaces.
This means you'll have to backup from a unix box, an OS/2/DOS/Windows box,
a Netware box, and a Mac.  Each client expects certain attributes with
their backed up data, and we don't currently support cross-client restore.

You can, however, backup all of this to a single node on the server.
So all your users could attach to that single node, and would see only
the filespaces that it understands.

Hope this helps...

Brett Walker
ADSM Client Development