ADSM-L

Re: LFS and ADSM

1995-02-24 13:34:50
Subject: Re: LFS and ADSM
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax:" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 10:34:50 PST
Re: Note from you attached below

>Could someone please comment on what LFS is and how ADSM
>is supposed to support it?  Thanks.

LFS is a product that allows an OS/2 Lan Server to use disk space
on a VM or MVS system.  To the end user, it looks as though files
are being stored on the Lan Server hard disks, when in fact they
are being stored up on VM or MVS.  Also, VM or MVS users can access
those files natively from VM or MVS.  I have not kept up on the
latest developments of LFS, so I'm sure I'm forgetting some key
functionality.

Since the data was already up on VM, a feature was added to allow the
data to be backed up to a WDSF server (now ADSM).  The data does not
need to be retrieved back to the workstation and then sent to the server,
its sent straight from the LFS/VM repository to the ADSM server.

LFS was written to use the WDSF interface.  This interface was supported
in ADSM Rel 1, and I think it still is.  However, I am not aware of
the status of LFS, and what their commitement to the backup portion
is.

Some of the guys in our Endicott site watch this forum, they may be
able to add to this...

Hope this helps...

Brett Walker
ADSM Client Development