ADSM-L

DSM_DIR and DSM_CONFG environment variables

1995-02-16 13:42:04
Subject: DSM_DIR and DSM_CONFG environment variables
From: "Peter Hadikin (HDIP9235)" <HDIP9235 AT BCITVM.BCIT.BC DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 10:42:04 PST
FROM:  Peter Hadikin (HDIP9235)
       (604) 432-8452

We are currently running version 1.2.5 of the WINDOWS ADSM software. What I
would like to do is set up a workstation in such a way that only the log files
and the DSM.OPT file need to reside on the local workstation. All the
executables, DSCAMENG.TXT etc., I would like to leave on a Novell server to be
shared by everybody. The problem I run into is that if I set the DSM_CONFG
environment variable to point to the directory where the DSM.OPT file sits
(local hard drive), and set the DSM_DIR to point to the network drive that
contains all the other files, ADSM seems to want to place the log files on the
network drive that DSM_DIR points to as well.

If I change DSM_DIR to point to the local hard drive, then I have to keep the
DSCAMENG.TXT file there as well. I would like to avoid this since DSCAMENG.TXT
seems to be version dependant and it creates more of a software upgrade
problem if I have to update this file every time there is a new release.

The SCHEDLOGNAME variable does not seem to get me around this problem (and yes
I do have the entire path specified for this variable).

Any thoughts or pointers would be most appreciated.

Have a super day, Peter.

BC Institute of Technology
Computer Resources
3700 Willingdon Avenue