ADSM-L

Compression on Netware Client

1995-02-03 08:14:00
Subject: Compression on Netware Client
From: "Jon C. Austin" <TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 08:14:00 EST
I have a customer concern about file compression on Netware ADSM
clients........

Does compression have any physical limitations. By compressing say
a 300MB file on a trimly configured server, could you:

    exhaust RAM memory
    run out a temporary disk space(does ADSM write the compressed
    file to temp space on disk prior to transmission?)

Does anybody have any performance numbers on Netware Clients using
TCP/IP, and passing through a mixed environment( our case, from
10baseT Enet to FDDI to 16Mb token with Cisco router in between ),
and doing compression.

Would appreciate the info. I've already searched the archives and
found little that is enlightening.

|  Jon Austin                             TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU   |
|  Systems Programmer, DUCC                -or- @DUKE.BITNET         |
|  314 North Building, Box 90133                                     |
|  Duke University                           phone   (919)660-7024   |
|  Durham, NC  27708-0133                    fax     (919)660-7021   |
|               Duke University: Birthplace of 'USENET'              |