ADSM-L

Failure of scheduled backups of Sun clients -Reply

1995-02-02 08:19:24
Subject: Failure of scheduled backups of Sun clients -Reply
From: Dennis Taylor <taylordc AT GUNET.GEORGETOWN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 08:19:24 -0500
> See original message below <
We have had trouble with ASN4253Es on SUNOS (411) machines.  I had called suppor
   t 2
times last year (in Feb. and July) on this problem.  The trouble for us has been
stale NFS mount points.  Using the UNIX MOUNT command you can usually see some
indication of stale(ness). I was able to make this error message reproducible by
detaching a VM minidisk from the VM-NFS server.

The irksome factor here is that by default the SUN (and most others) ADSM client
    is
not supposed to back up foreign (NFS mounted) file systems.  A stale mount point
    is
not a significant problem and should not cause backups to blow off.

Level 1 support said that they can not fix the SUNOS client.  We have learned to
live with this message.  The users now know to check for a stale mount points in
order to remedy the situation (and wait for the next night for a successful
backup).

Dennis Taylor
Georgetown University Hospital

>>> Melinda Varian <MAINT%PUCC.BITNET AT guvax.acc.georgetown DOT edu> 02/01/95
>>> 06:17pm

We have a number of Sun clients, two of which have recently started getting this
failure in their nightly backups:

01/29/1995 18:36:29 ANS4253E File input/output error
01/29/1995 18:40:29 ANS4847E Scheduled event '87PSCHEDULE' failed.
   Return code = 4.

These machines had been being backed up successfully every night for many months
   .
Then both began failing on the same night.  One "healed" itself after two weeks,
but the other is still failing.  They are both running Version 1, Release 2, Lev
   el
0.3.  There really does not seem to be anything wrong with their disks.
Suggestions?

Melinda Varian
Princeton University