ADSM-L

Re: Migrate adsm server vm to aix

1995-01-27 09:08:23
Subject: Re: Migrate adsm server vm to aix
From: Michael Kearney <michael AT UDCEMAIL.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 09:08:23 -0500
yves wrote:

> i'd like to know if i can migrate data from adsm server on VM system to
> adsm/6000 server. If i dump my data base from adsm on vm, can i reload
> the database on adsm/6000 .

Yves,

I asked this question last fall when we were planning the same thing. I
don't have a copy of IBM's reply here, but the essence of it was that you
cannot do a database dump on ADSM/VM and then do a DB load on ADSM/6000.
Of course, this would be the ideal thing to do as it doesn't require reading
any data volumes. Unfortunately...

The only way IBM claims you can do it, is to do a database export and import.
We did manage to do this - just barely - both the export and import take
a LONG time and should anything cause difficulty which results in the process
stopping, you must restart from the beginning. I'd recommend you do some
testing of the export function on a live server to get an estimate of the
time it will take. It's both a CPU and I/O intensive process. We did a
complete dry run of the process too, before actually doing the move.
As luck would have it, the dry run went better than the real cutover.
We lost the VM server in the middle of the export and had to restart it.
Nonetheless, we did the job and the system has been working fine since.
Most customers didn't even see the change, as we simply changed an IP
domain name alias to point to the new server.

If you have any more questions, drop me a note. I'll do my best on the
turnaround.

Good luck,

Michael Kearney