ADSM-L

[no subject]

1995-01-06 06:50:21
From: Hans Kilian <dkatplzx AT IBMMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 06:50:21 EST
Bob,

>In the MVS server, version 1, release 1, level 0.10/1.10, I
>defined a device class and tried to include a value for the
>estcapacity parameter (estimated capacity).  According to the
>manual, the value should be an integer followed by a scale factor,
>e.g 'g' for gigabytes.  When I issued a command such as
>upd dev adsmtape estcap=6g, I kept getting the error message
>'anr2020e update devclass: Invalid parameter - 6G'.  The server
>did not give any error message if I supplied just an integer, but
>it did not change the estimated capacity value either.  Am
>I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

I tried this on my 0.9/1.9 MVS server, and it seems that ADSM won't
recognize an ESTCAP value larger than 2 GB. If you try it with
ESTCAP=2G it works fine - with ESTCAP=3G it says that '3G' is an
invalid parameter.

I don't know if ADSM actually uses this information for any practical
purposes besides calculating how much data theoretically could be put
on the tapes in a storage group. When it actually puts data on the
tapes (in my case 3480 cartridges) it sometimes puts more than the
estimated 180 MB on a cartridge.

But of course ADSM should be able to accept values of ESTCAP larger
than 2 GB. I've heard that IBM have some new drives coming which will
be able to store 20 GB of uncompressed data on a single cartridge, so
they'll soon encounter the problem with their own drives...

Regards,
Hans Kilian, ATP Denmark