ADSM-L

ADSM VM server and timezone

1994-10-31 16:15:42
Subject: ADSM VM server and timezone
From: Jim Smith <spikes AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 13:15:42 PST
Wayne,

oops... jumped the gun a bit.  I gave you a good answer from a PROMPTED
schedule point of view.  If you don't reset your server clock, but re-set
the client clocks ... your clients would be using server time to schedule
the backups and thus the noon backup would appear to be at 11:00 am on the
clients.

POLLING is another matter.  Since we cannot assume that the client
and server are using the same clock, the server gives schedule times
relative to current time.  ie, the server doesn't tell a client to
run schedules at noon ... the server tells the client to start the schedule
in five hours, becauses it's seven am right now.  So, the client can have no
idea that the time changes on the server and possibly run its schedules
at the wrong time when daylight savings kicks on/off.

Jim Smith / ADSM Technical Support / San Jose