ADSM-L

ADSM/VM running MP ?

1994-10-13 10:49:35
Subject: ADSM/VM running MP ?
From: Michel Gaillard <Michel.Gaillard AT ANSF.ALCATEL DOT FR>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 14:49:35 GMT
Hello everybody,

In document SH26-4035-00 "Performance Tuning Guide", reference is made to the
"MP" aspect of the ADSM server on MVS.

We are running VM/ESA 1.2.1 RSU 9304 and CMS 10.

We are running ADSM/VM Rel 1 Level 0.9 and defined the VM directory statements :
MACHINE XA 3
CPU 00
CPU 01
CPU 02
in DSMSERV directory entry to "allow" up to 3 virtual processors to be used ..

It turned out that only CPU 00 is eating CPU time (given the informations
returned by INDICATE user CP command).

The communication protocol we use is TCP/IP and I can understand that the
Backup/restore actions, using the TCP/IP driver, are not candidate to be
parallelized , BUT any another action like Migration, DUMP DB ... in brief any
time consuming operation are good candidates.

In brief is it a good idea of trying to run ADSM MP ? and if yes is it possible
?

cheers, michel