ADSM-L

TAPEPROMPT Change?

1994-10-10 15:15:17
Subject: TAPEPROMPT Change?
From: MJ Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 12:15:17 PDT
> I just downloaded the latest AIX client and it appears as though
> the default for tape prompting has changed?

It hasn't really changed - it just never worked for the command line
commands like the documentation said it would.  We used to incorrectly
ignore the value for TAPEPROMPT on the command line, instead of using
the default of Yes or whatever the user specified.
That meant you always waited - you could never get us to prompt you.

We tried to do 2 things in this last PTF you downloaded:

1) add tapeprompt to the command line backup and archive, a new feature
   to make us consistent with restore and retrieve
2) fix restore and retrieve so that we actually prompt when we should,
   and like the documentation says we should, instead of ignoring it

We successfully added tapeprompt to backup and archive (hence your
problems), but we did not fix it yet for restore and retrieve.
You would have had the same problems you saw on backup with restore
and retrieve if we had fixed it.  We will fix restore and retrieve
in the next PTF, so you will notice a change in behavior, but
our code will finally be acting like the documentation says it will.

You will really need to pay attention to your TAPEPROMPT values
in your dsm.opt file with this PTF you downloaded and the next one
coming out by the end of the year, and make sure they are set
to what you really want.  You are used to having TAPEPROMPT
be ignored - instead we are going to start using it like we should have
all along.  The default is TAPEPROMPT=YES, so you may need to add
TAPEPROMPT=NO to your dsm.opt files or your command line invocations
if that is the behavior you prefer.

> -tapeprompt is not even documented in the helpfile for the dsmc
> incremental section as best as I can tell.

You are right that -tapeprompt is not in our books for backup or
archive.  It is something new for those commands, though it
has been there all along for restore and retrieve.

We did put something in the README files, but it was not extensive
enough.  We'll try to put in more with the next PTF, and that
will have to do until we get new books.

-- MJ Lopatin
   ADSM Client Development
   ADSM Client Development