ADSM-L

Note from you attached below

1994-10-06 15:56:49
Subject: Note from you attached below
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax:" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 12:56:49 PDT
Hans,

>One of our LAN servers is running out of disk space. We are going to
>add another hard disk to it, and to level the usage between the old
>and new disks by moving half the data from the old disk to the new one.
>
>As far as I can see, ADSM is going to see all the moved data as
>deleted in one place and created in another. Since we have set our
>management classes to keep 4 copies when the files exist and only
>one copy when the files are deleted, ADSM is going to expire all
>but one copy of our files. It will also take a new copy (on the new
>filespace) that will be the same as the copy it has on the other
>filespace.
>
>Is there a way to keep our old generations across this operation?

Here's an idea that might work for you:

o Create a new management class that is identical to the one your
  using for the old filespace, except set the versions deleted to 4.

o You can then either make this management class the default or bind
  it to a filespace by placing the line
     INCLUDE  filespace/.../*   NewManagementClass
     (check the manual for exact syntax).

o do an incremental backup on the filespace.  This will re-bind all the
  files to the new management class.  So now, when you move the files to
  the new hard drive and do another incremental backup, the deleted files
  will be kept for 4 versions (you might also need to adjust the Retain
  Extra Versions and Retain Only Version parameters of the management
  class).

o After the 4 versions get expired, you can change the management class
  back to its original state, if you desire.

There are probably other ways to do this, but I think this should work.

Regards,
Brett