ADSM-L

[no subject]

1994-08-30 09:19:19
From: Amadeus Forums <dehtpnmk AT IBMMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 1994 09:19:19 EDT
From: Amadeus Forums AT MUCVM1 <dehtpnmk AT ibmmail DOT com>
Subject: Re: ADSM communication rates

             "Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>

Amadeus FORUMS for THIERRY CARO :

 Hello there,
 Here are the figures we get with the AdSTar Client/Server product
 for heavy file transfers between VM and some other Operating Systems
 using either APPC LU6.2 or TCP/IP. Key-player devices are :
 one 3172-3, several 3745s and a 16MB Token-Ring.

 .  Between VM/ESA and OS2 using APPC :
       An average rate of  420 KB/sec.

 .  Between VM/ESA and OS2 using TCP/IP :
       An average rate of  280 KB/sec.

 .  Between VM/ESA and AIX using TCP/IP :
       An average rate of  350 KB/sec.

 .  Between VM/ESA and Windows using TCP/IP :
       An average rate of  120 KB/sec.

 Note that all figures are for UNCOMPRESSED data. A compression rate of
 80% was often found for UNIX files (multiplying the rates by 4 !).

 These figures were obtained during prime shift, steadily.

 Transfer rates to a MVS server are in the same range.

 Our APPC transfer rates improved dramatically (by 15 !) after we
 adjusted the VTAM's RU-sizes and PACING parameters of the VM gateway.

 I'd like to test with APPC between AIX and VM using the UNIX
 "SNA Services" product. Has anyone reported any transfer rates with it ?